Assisted Living FAQs
Choosing the right assisted living facility in Whittier, CA is an important one. Whether you’re just starting your search or have been researching for a while, you’re sure to have a few questions. Either way, we’re here to help. Following are some of the most frequently asked questions about assisted living. If you don’t see your question here, please feel free to drop us a line at 562-945-2651.
What Is Assisted Living?
Assisted living facilities offer seniors help they need with the tasks of day-to-day living. They offer customized care that can include help with some or all of the following: bathing, dressing, housekeeping, eating, and medication management. Assisted living communities also provide recreational activities and services such as transportation to medical appointments.
Is Assisted Living The Same As A Nursing Home?
No. Assisted living is different than skilled nursing or a nursing home. Our typical resident may need help with medications, meals, housekeeping and activities, but they are not chronically ill.
Are All Assisted Living Communities The Same?
No. It is extremely important to schedule a tour with the assisted living home you are considering. You will find that the services offered and quality of care will vary from one facility to the next. At Posada, we offer our residents the help they need while providing a community that supports and encourages their independence. Schedule a tour
Who Lives In Assisted Living Residences?
As our population ages, the need for assisted living facilities has risen. Today, more than 1 million Americans are living in assisted living communities. The vast majority of residents are elderly and in need of help with one or more daily activities.
How Do You Know Its Time For Assisted Living?
Often times, symptoms go unnoticed as they may happen slowly and over a period of time. Other times they may be more noticeable, such as after an injury resulting from an accident or fall. Other signs include:
- Difficulty managing daily activities such as opening the mail or paying bills could indicate difficulties with managing money, a common early warning sign of cognitive trouble.
- Physical signs like weight gain or weight loss can be a clue. Changes in appearance – were they once well dressed and now sloppy? The dexterity needed for buttons may be lost. Unusual odors could mean personal hygiene is diminishing.
- Changes in their social life – are friendships changing? Has a hobby been abandoned? Are friendships being maintained?
- Driving ability? Often times a seniors world gets smaller and smaller because they are afraid to drive. Another sign could be noticing dents and scrapes on the car that could be signs of careless driving.
Do Assisted Living Facilities Need To Be Licensed?
Yes! Licensing ensures appropriate staffing levels, staff training, and medication administration. Not all assisted living centers are created equal so look for a licensed facility. Posada is licensed by the state of California.
What Is The Cost For Assisted Living?
Costs and the methods of determining costs vary greatly from facility to facility. Be sure to understand all the possible costs that an assisted living facility may charge.
Who Pays For Assisted Living Costs?
Residents or their families generally pay the cost of care from their own financial resources. Depending on the nature of an individual’s health insurance program or long-term care insurance policy, costs may be reimbursed. In addition, some residences offer help with obtaining access to financial assistance programs.
Are Assisted Living Facilities Safe? Is Monitoring Available?
Yes. Rest assured that our suites are equipped with an emergency call system. No matter what time of day or night, we’ll be there when you need us most.
Can We Bring Personal Furnishings?
Absolutely! We want you to be comfortable in your new home. We encourage you to bring your furniture and decorations so that you enjoy your new surroundings. This is your home and you should have all the comforts and furnishings to which you are accustomed.
What Services And Amenities Are Included In The Monthly Rate?
- 3 Chef prepared meals a day (focused on nutrition and diabetic needs)
- Daily fitness program (1 hour every morning)
- Social programs
- On-site hair salon
- Personal laundry every week
- Full housekeeping and linen services weekly
- Stock N Shop – our on-site convenience store
- Medication management
- Monthly onsite podiatrist visit
- All main utilities are included (phone and cable TV are extra)
- Supervised transportation for medical appointments, shopping and/ or planned outings
- 24/7 staff
For more information on Whittier, CA assisted living facilities, contact us at: 562-945-2651 or Schedule a tour today!